Friday, April 9, 2021

Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest Chapters 78 and 79 Review

 Written by Shiggins

Youko, oh-no.

It's times like these I am so glad I decided to save these reviews for every two chapters, because if you had made me write these chapters individually, this review would be shorter than my fuse. Speaking of fuses and the lighting of them, the newest chapter did one of my least favourite things ever used in Fairy Tail... again! 

Boo, there's no Pisces!

Our chapter begins with lots and lots of giant monsters, each of them uniquely designed, and the group decide to just charge in and have a big brawl. As more and more keep coming, the number 100 seeming to be a lie now, Aquarius has Lucy summon literally every Celestial Zodiac Spirit she has. Yes, all the ones she owns are now here. Oh and Plue for some reason.

More fighting, more moves being shouted, the return of the Leo x Virgo Star Dress, and Erza leaps up to attack Youko, but is deceived by her and her Loki-style clones (I'm rewatching the whole MCU Infinity Saga right now, so try and appreciate how few Marvel references I'm making today). Of course, that doesn't work and Erza finds the real one.

Wow, I'm now reminded how much I miss Nnoitra Gilga.

Chapter two of two twoday. Two. Anyway, more fighting with monsters in a scene that will probably look amazing when animated but for now is background noise as Erza takes on Youko. As Youko decides to go full anime-transformation, Natsu's scarf is stolen by a Pot Tanuki and he runs off after it. Anyway, Youko has activated a badass form that gives her extra arms.

The fight is getting slightly rougher now, and it looks like things are going to get exciting... until Erza whips out a brand new armour that basically makes her win no matter what. Cool. Whatever. Our chapter ends with the monsters disappearing, Natsu getting his scarf back and then running into Suzaku. The Fairy Tail one, not the Code Geass one.

Opinion: Erza did it again!

Fairy Tail is one of those series people like to dunk on because it's popular to do so. Sword Art Online is another example, but both have their merits and their fans, and they really don't deserve the nonsense they get. Yes they both have flaws but every form of media has flaws, with the possible exception of Into the Spider-Verse. We're all watching anime and reading manga to have fun, are we not? I bring this up because it's scenes like Erza spawning fuck-you-armour that makes me think of those people.

If you're a long-time reader, you knew this was coming when you read the chapter. I've harped it on before, most notably the time Erza fought Minerva, and this is the exact same. An armour with no introduction or build-up that gives an immediate win, because the writers can't be bothered continuing the fight or coming up with a creative way to win. I don't think it's unfair to ask for some more effort than "well I brought my attack dinosaur that eats force-field dog" from a sequel to a series that started in 2006. 

Okay, seriously. Is it just me or have we seen this exact picture a thousand times before?

What surprised me though was how underwhelming the appearance of these spirits were. You'd think seeing Leo, Capricorn, Virgo and the rest all arriving at once to take on an army of monsters like Geodude's Dad would be awesome, yet somehow it made very little impact. No doubt it will look amazing if the anime adapts this, but on paper it's quick and lifeless. The only part I really appreciated though was that every single monster seems to be unique. That's really cool, and it feels like the only part of all this that feels like some care was given.

At least Suzaku is back! Yes, the reason for Natsu meeting up with him in the first place is as contrived as Luffy getting stuck in a snake. Thank God no arc is terrible enough to make that happen... But anyway, I'm looking forward to this part. Will Suzaku just attack? Will he mistake Natsu for someone else and be polite? 

I like the sheen on these chains. Weird fact yes but I'm weird.

So yeah, I didn't like this time. Maybe it's because most of the pages were fighting, so I was limited in what I could talk about. Maybe it's because I just read the newest chapter of UQ Holder and the series has really gone downhill lately, focusing more on making people act out-of-character so they can all get horny (I know, that's an argument for another day but I am really just disappointed). Maybe I'm just in a mood. I don't know, but what I do know is that this is a negative review. Sorry, everyone!

Manga Rating: 1.5/5

Best Part: Unique enemy types.

Worst Part: Asspull Armour Requip!

Mm that's... that's a goooood stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment