Friday, April 8, 2022

Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest Chapters 103, 104 and 105 Review

A woman with new world views.

I swear, I was about to publish this review, then another chapter came out while I was at work so I ended up needing to delay it until... well, until you're reading it now. What's even funnier is that because of the way the latest chapter is, there's little for me to add onto this review! So I almost delayed it for nothing! Anyway, here's a triple review that was meant to be a double.

Only 24 hours? Ha! My whole life is pain.

Well, I am very very sure I'm not the only person to suggest that Lucy's painful arm slice was a fakeout, so I'm almost thankful they revealed it quickly. Let's face it, Fairy Tail is a fun series but a move like that requires a level of grit and dedication that this story is not trying to go for. It's just a shame we had to end it with the "Horolugium steals your clothes" joke FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME! Especially considering what I said about the women being stripped constantly coming across as childish, in my very last review.

At least the spectacle of Lucy's final attack was very rewarding to watch. I love these Star Dresses, and I especially love the combinations. Aquarius fused with Gemini to create clones and copies made of water that help Lucy activate an amazing powerful spell? Pretty damn great, I must confess. If only my one, Pisces, got the respect it deserves instead of those two ugly fish forms.

Virgo is a woman who knows what she wants and she goes for it. I can't help but respect her for that.

I once again found myself enjoying a Laxus moment, which probably shouldn't come as a surprise by now, but a surprise it was! Laxus stepping out to save Lucy from an attack despite what Kiria-sama did to him is especially interesting considering we have, sadly, not have much interaction between the two of them. It's just one of those combinations that we've not seen sadly, much like the Star Dresses themselves when I think about it.

Much like this sentence, our time with Natsu and Suzaku was too sho-

So we're onto Erza vs Misaki now, that's nice. And we get to see exactly what this new power of hers is, and I do like it. Send someone to your own personal Hyperbolic Time Chamber, hit them for five seconds, and then have the time delay catch up on in the real world so you can-wait. Wait. How does that result in what we saw in chapter 99, where Erza lost her clothes and her hair? I guess a desire for fanservice can break the rules of even your own story. It's convenient. As convenient as Erza being able to manipulate her armour to move in Misaki's dimension. I mean, I think it is. I'll be honest, that part confused me.

This is such a "substitution no jutsu" moment that my mind instinctively made that poof noise for this panel.

Let's face it, the fight is very confusing overall. It was visually nice and explosive, sure, but it ended as expected and made basically no sense. I genuinely think we should just say "Erza was stronger" and leave it at at that. Going into analysis as if this is a brilliant strategy is a waste of time for us all. I liked it, I just know I won't remember it.

So yeah, loved the stuff with Lucy despite the fakeout, including her brief moments with Laxus acting in a senpai-type capacity, and the Misaki section is enjoyable but much more confusing. 

Poor Gajeel and Gray though, forced into the bystander/Speedwagon position. Something tells me that with Laxus out, they'll be given the task of fighting Kirin and whatever is inside his coffin. I'm betting... a puppet-corpse so he can fight like Kankuro does.





No comments:

Post a Comment