Thursday, June 30, 2022

Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest Chapters 109 to 111 Review

Shock and aww.

Laxus zaps people, Natsu punches people, Suzaku swords people. Everyone has fun, I write a review with some nitpicking that even I cringed at but I hope you all enjoy it anyway. I hope everyone is enjoying their summer, and I hope you're enjoying Fairy Tail like I am, if not more so! Read, laugh, read more, share, like, subscribe, ring the bell, give me your credit card number, donate to my Patreon, write my name in smoke signals... whatever you want, as long as you enjoy!

See Natsu. He's speaking a foreign language, and his power move still makes more sense than you calling your flaming punch "Iron Fist".

For starters, let's talk about the best part of this triple review; Laxus vs Kirin! 

I could once again talk about how contrived it is for a character to happen to run into someone related to themselves or their Guild, but honestly it's pointless at this stage. I might as well just blame it on the Force, since it's going to keep happening and to varying degrees of irritation. (Wraith from Diabolos being a long-lost member of Fairy Tail still makes me roll my eyes). At least I can say this is probably the least irritating version of it so far, since it allows a surprisingly badass moment for Laxus to shine.

Damn you... I had forgotten how cute Wraith was, and was trying to forget!

I've often felt Laxus' father Ivan was an underused character in the series. He's someone who was mentioned from one of the first arcs of the franchise but he only ever really did anything of note during the Grand Magic Games arc. The idea of Laxus feeling trapped and pressured by the experiments Ivan did on him is a fascinating one, but it feels like we didn't really have time to develop it. So as it is, Laxus saying he's free now doesn't ring out as hollow, but rather disappointing. Such a great idea, realised too late. Maybe Ivan should hurry up and get back into the series!

At least the fight is awesome, with an interesting flashback that displays the purpose behind Kirin's madness, and what he might be feeling afterwards if he survives the arc. Maybe he'll actually be happier without the ghost of a dragon shouting in his ear, who knows. And now only Cobra is a Second Generation Dragon Slayer, as Laxus gets a much-needed and interesting upgrade after literally ripping out his own Lacrima and swallowing the soul of the dragon instead. This kind of visceral craziness is often when Fairy Tail is at it's best, so more of that please.

Cool guys don't look at Lacrima. They just walk away in slow-motion.

The fight between Natsu and Suzaku against Dogramag is another visually interesting one, but with two bigger issues that irk me much more than my nitpicking earlier. Dogramag still looks great and I do always enjoy a villain who can control the Earth, (although I personally prefer sand users over rock. Gaara and Crocodile are so cool!), and it's great how much of an immovable wall he feels. The guy is a Dragon God, he should feel this powerful. 

However, I don't like this "destroy all the beads to weaken him" stuff. Not only does it remind me of the time they took down Hades by destroying the ship's heart, or that bloody book with those bloody Horcruxes, but I like a villain being defeated at the top of their game. Frieza in his final form at 100% power is much more interesting than defeating Frieza in his second form. I want to see how the heroes overcome their enemy through strategy and friendship, not through cheating! Cheaters!

Teehee. Someone is going to get 69.

And the other reason... is Selene. I cannot stress this enough, so I am just going to repeat the same word until the message is abundantly clear, because apparently I wasn't clear enough and it happened to Touka. So here goes.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really don't want to see Selene turn good. 

Selene is a great villain, with a sexy body and a great smirk. I don't know what Hiro Mashima's problem is with turning almost every female villain into a good person, but it needs to stop. Let the baddies be bad sometimes! It's fun! It's fun to write, it's fun to read, it's fun! And Selene has tortured and laughed as she killed. She is not a good person. She is working for her own goals, and that is what I am hoping is the only reason she's helping here. She's practical and logical, this is not her turning good. That is what I want to hear. Or read, I guess. You read manga, you don't listen to it... anyway, #KeepSeleneBad.


Oh yeah, Gildarts. He'd be really interesting to learn about, huh? Ah well.

Oh yeah, Ivan. He'd be really interesting to learn about, huh? Ah well.

Oh yeah, Lucy's boobs. They'd be really-

No comments:

Post a Comment