Tuesday, January 5, 2021

An Update on my Reviews

 Written by Shiggins

Hello fellow Fairy Tail and Eden's Zero fans! ...Fairies? Guildmembers? Sadly, we don't have any name for that but whatever, let's give that some thought later and move on to what I'm bringing up today. I've made a decision on what to do regarding my reviews, so here it is and why.

 
 Earlier this yea-oh shit, it's actually 2021 now! Ok, well last year I finally caught up with Eden's Zero and reviewed several arcs of it independently, then from Chapter 100 onwards I started writing reviews for it alongside Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest. Every fortnight, I brought out a review with two Eden's Zero chapters and one Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest. And when this all started, I made it clear that this was a test run to see if I could make it work.

And sadly, I've noticed a couple of issues come up since I began this test run that means I will be needing to make changes. After consulting my calendar and writing some possibilities, I've come to the conclusion that I am going to have to return my Eden's Zero Arc Reviews, and bring Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest reviews down to a two-chapter review each time.

If you've read my most recent reviews, you can probably guess why I am going to make every Fairy Tail review two chapters instead of one. The amount of content or plot progression each time we get a chapter leaves me with little to actually talk about in every review, and I start having to add filler to make it not look pathetic compared to the Eden's Zero section. When I'm rambling on about Spiritfarer and Black Clover, you know my reviews are in trouble. With two chapters at a time, I should be able to reduce the fluff. 

I wanted to see if there was a way to have Eden's Zero every two weeks and Fairy Tail every two chapters, so I consulted a calendar for the months ahead. And honestly, it seemed to work fine at first... then it quickly became an overly complicated mess that clashed dates together. It got overly complicated and ridiculous.

Why can't you give Fairy Tail the arc reviews and keep Eden's Zero to a fortnightly basis?

The last Fairy Tail arc lasted from June 2019 to August 2020, due to this release schedule. If I kept Fairy Tail at an Arc Review basis, I would basically be stuck reviewing Fairy Tail once a year, if that. There's no telling how long this or any future arc will last. Eden's Zero comes out on a weekly basis, so the arcs should come and go a lot faster.

What if you just gave up writing Fairy Tail reviews?

Honestly, I don't want to do that. I enjoy Fairy Tail and Eden's Zero, and I want to talk about both. And if I am going to keep writing this blog, which I make zero money from and do for my own (and hopefully your) enjoyment, I'm going to keep writing what makes me happy. It's what keeps me going.

What else will you write about, now that your schedule is more cleared up?

Another big reason why I want to change my release schedule is because I wasn't able to really focus on writing different articles or experimenting with new ideas. I want to explore characters, like I did with Jiren last year, or talk about issues in storytelling that have come up recently in blockbuster movies, or just review an anime or two more often. Something creative. Something different.

Sadly, this is the compromise that needs to be done. If anyone has any other ideas that could work, let me know in the comments below because I really did try to find the best options for both Fairy Tail and Eden's Zero and came up with this.

As always, thank you for your support and for reading my stuff. And I hope you all have a good year and a good time. Stay safe, my... Hiros? Mashy People? Nope, still can't decide on a name for that.

2 comments:

  1. Doing reviews is actually a hard task, and while pure enjoyement is a good motivation, getting it right with your life schedualcan be pretty hard. Even tho I wish you could do all of the reviews on a chapter basys, I do understand where you're coming from (especially considering you're one of the very very few people I've seen who does a fair critique on Mashima's work.

    About FT, it will work fine, since the lack of content is noticeable, so two on two chapter might work.

    Your EZ arc reviews are great too, so I'm excited to have those too.

    All in all I'm excited for the expansion of content you're planning, and eventually if the times comes, you'll be able to return to the reviews in the chapter format.

    Good work and luck for this 2021 on Otaku Nuts, the content expansion will be awesome for sure.

    and last, Mashy People is probably the best lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, Gray. I wish I could do weekly chapters too, but it wouldn't be worth your time or my time. This really is the best option for everyone, I believe. I'll be doing my best to give the EZ Arc reviews what they deserve though.

      And thank you very much! I hope you keep reading and enjoying your year.

      I think the potato fandom got Mashy People but I am willing to negotiate with them.

      Delete