Saturday, February 13, 2021

Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest Chapters 74 and 75 Review

 Written by Shiggins

What-er review.

I've been taking a short break as I adjust to my new Open University course, hence the lack of articles recently, but I'm not going to miss our Fairy Tail time! So here we are, and our review starts with Natsu squeezed in Lucy's boobies. What a start.

I want this forever.

Lucy is holding Natsu tight, causing laughter from Serene and her followers. As Lucy gets more flirty, Natsu tries to yell her back to normal and gets tossed about by her brand new tail. Despite it being Lucy, Natsu decides the best course of action is to fight her physically first. This is when we go to Gray, who comes across Kitty Wendy.

Yes, Wendy is now a "bakeneko", a yokai cat! She's plotting to murder Gray, just like Lucy is trying to kill Natsu, but it's not an effective threat... until Happy and Carla appear as massive suiko ("water tigers"). After this surprising introduction, we return to Natsu vs Lucy, in which she makes water appear from her own body, powered up by the gifts from Youko. Angered, Natsu is prepared to unleash his full Lightning-Flame mode to free Lucy, but he's given a surprise when out of the water comes... Aquarius! 

No, only on Fridays. Or when I'm playing Danganronpa.

Next chapter, and Aquarius stands tall, despite not having any legs. Of course, her appearing here technically does fit with what we've learned before, since we saw Taurus appear without needing to be personally summoned, and she says she'll handle Lucy. Aquarius begins acting up as she usually does, but this Yokai Lucy isn't taking it as easily and starts swimming in Aquarius' water attack.

Using the power of magic and water, Aquarius makes the memories between the master and the spirit flood (pun intended) back into Lucy's head. Remembering the sacrifice of Aquarius from Tartarus, as well as all the times they had growing up, brings Lucy back to her senses. One spank later, and Lucy's ass is back!

How they could have stopped Sasuke Uchiha easily.

Aquarius and Lucy are reunited, at least for now, and vow to work together to get out of this cave. As Youko tries to figure out how this could happen, clearly getting agitated, we see Gray attempting to freeze Happy and Carla, but it doesn't work against them.

Opinion: I'm yokaignorant. 

So I'll be honest, I don't know much about yokai. This is a big element of this arc, at least for now, that snuck up on me and I don't have the personal time to study up on all the yokai. So if there's clever references, or moments that aren't possible due to the lore of the yokai... well basically, I'm going to be unable to talk about it. Sorry, folks.

The amount of Gray x Juvia this series clearly wants to do but isn't able to right now is insane and I appreciate it.

What I can talk about is what I see in front of me. Kitty Wendy makes me uncomfortable, but Happy and Carla are literally the best versions they have ever been and I want them like this forever. I want this to be their Hulk transformation, their Super Saiyan. And while I am trying to avoid talking about Kitty Wendy too much, I can't deny how fun it is to have her playing the role of adorable evil. She's going to kill you, but at least she'll enjoy doing so! And that's what matters.

For a character that was meant to have disappeared entirely, Aquarius has made more than one surprising return since Tartarus, hasn't she? First, there was the terrible exposition dump with Brandish, and now this? She's quite helpful despite being gone. Well thankfully, this scene was a lot better than that one. This is obviously extremely subjective but I found the Feel Factor here to be effective, partially due to the fact that I recognise every scene Aquarius shows Lucy, rather than see some new random scene created out of nowhere (remember when Gajeel was revealed to have a connection with Council Member Belno?), and partially due to the use of water carrying memories being something that has long been established as a rule in this series. Which means Frozen 2 stole it from Fairy Tail... Interesting.

So I'm sure in the next review, we'll see Gray somehow take down Happy and Carla, possibly by taking advantage of how they're cats and giving them a laser pointer to chase, and get back-up from Aquarius and the pair. After that, we'll no doubt see Yokai Erza as the big boss of this cave fight. I'm looking forward to whatever that design is.

Manga Rating: 4/5

Best Part: Aquarius' memories.

Worst Part: This is hopefully the last Aquarius ex Machina.

Fake. Aquarius only smiles like that for Scorpio or her Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment