Saturday, December 31, 2022

Fairy Tail 100 Years Chapters 120 to 123 Review

Retconning while naked is how true bonds are made.

You were probably wondering why this review took so long to happen. Usually I try to wait for two or three chapters before publishing one, but I didn't want the entire review to be bitching about Selene's personality change yet again, so I waited until something unique happened. Or at the very least, something other than Selene pretending she was good all along. So here's the review you were waiting for all along, with the usual bitching reduced to save time.

Sequels. Always doing the same thing but new.

In fact, let's start with this quickly to get it out of the way. Selene was good all along, except not as pathetically much as Touka. She did do the bad things, she did enjoy doing them, but we're just saying she wasn't that evil for doing so. Murders are bad, sure. Partying while torturing Natsu and Gray was problematic but not great. Whatever, I guess we're over it.

I'm not kidding when I say that the fanservice during the explanation was welcome purely because I wanted something interesting to admire while they blathered on. I was really intrigued by the amount of detail and time that went into these bodies, from the squish of a bum as it sits against stone, to all those water streaks. Well done, you perverts!

Man, I really really miss when these characters were... actual characters. And not just cameos.

The highlight of this review however goes to Irene. She followed on from her sudden swap of personality at her death, and turned it into a endearingly tragic story as she secretly watched her daughter through Wendy's eyes. And finally, we get a bittersweet goodbye from her as she gets reincarnated as the child of Erza Knightwalker and Edolas Jellal. It's the kind of ending I love, a happy one that isn't roses and popcorn but also makes me glad I followed the story. Goodbye, Irene. Your story during this sequel might have been lacking in impact for all the other characters, but you still did well.

Another highlight, for me at least, was the proper return of the Fairy Tail crew. I've said it before but it needs repeating; Fairy Tail as a franchise is at it's best when it is using as many of the characters as possible. It's why the Grand Magic Games arc is the best one. While it can sometimes feel like we're stepping backwards, I'd rather that then forget characters like Gajeel, Laxus' Thunder Tribe, Levy and Elfman, who bring a much needed diversity of interaction and personality with every scene. 

My heart... it can't take this!

Another reason I was waiting to do this review was the reveal that the final dragon, Viernes, is not a physical dragon but rather a concept. I was expecting chapter 123 to reveal what it meant but since it didn't, here we are. What are your guesses? Mine is that Viernes is an inheritance that passes from user to user, and it won't be enough to just defeat the user, as the power will transfer to another.

Anyway, that's Sabertooth back now and I'm always glad to see them. I'm still wishing they had a Mashima-made spinoff of their own, but I know that's unlikely so I'll take what I can get. If they were to somehow have obtained Fairy Tail's books, I'd be calling bullshit but there could be a ton of different reasons so let's see where they go with this. I'm happy either way, at least for now.





No comments:

Post a Comment