Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest Chapter 63 and Eden's Zero Chapters 106 and 107

 Written by Shiggins

Relax, don't do it. When you want to sock to it...

I'm going back to work this week. The paid work, not this work. If I got paid for this, I'd be here forever but unfortunately, I have to return to the real world eventually. Yuck. Anyway, Hiro Mashima-senpai must have known that and so he has gifted unto me, and you guys too I suppose, some nice and relaxing chapters to make me feel at ease. Thank you, I love them!

Moments like this are why I read manga.

Fairy Tail

Back in the Guild hall known as Magia Dragon, we see Elefseria in shock at Aldoron being defeated. Around other locations, Ignis and Selene both express their own surprise as well, before we take a visit to Diabolos, where the Guildmaster Georg Reizen is surprisingly cool despite his annoyance at not being able to eat Aldoron anymore, the loss of both Reiss and Nebaru, and the defeat of Skullion, Madmole and Kiria. 

Who has said this about someone they dislike? Nobody, that's who.
No longer going to underestimate Fairy Tail, Reizen orders them to target Selene next and assigns Suzaku to go with them. Apparently he's the Red Dragon and part of the Black Dragon Slayer Knights team but all of that is just a big ridiculous title to me at this stage so let's move on to some exposition! It turns out that there was an entire government near Aldoron that were created to take care of the Aldoron situation... but have only just sent in the army now. Okay.

The Fairy Tail members all get the situation explained to them, including the Touka stuff. Both WW and the Touka cat are still unconscious however, which is a shame because they still don't understand where the cat came from, since she's not from Extalia. Ah well, they ignore that problem and get to partying once more with jokes and small moments together. We end the chapter with Erza finding Jellal sitting alone as always and he vows to stop being angsty and stop blaming himself and can love freely now. 

FT Opinion: That was fun but...

Let's not go over Jellal again. The boy has said these lines to me, saying he'll change, and then he keeps breaking my heart. I'll believe it when I see it. I refuse to trust him again... for now. Instead, let's talk about how there was supposedly an entire bloody army and town nearby that only arrived for one chapter and then got wiped out. You were created to monitor and control Aldoron but you didn't have one weapon or safeguard against him? You had an entire army just waiting to clean up? That's embarrassing. Nick Fury would be ashamed of your lack of preparation. 

No comment, Jellal. These jokes are too easy.
I'll be honest though. Other than that, I am very glad we got this chapter. Not only because it's a nice break from the tension of Aldoron, and not only because it confirms Aldoron is dead in the dirt where he belongs, but it's nice to have a reminder of how these characters interact with each other, while showing growth. Gajeel talking about his kid, Gray and Juvia being affectionate and yes, even the Jellal statement at the end, are all pleasant ways that show how far they've come. It honestly makes the fact that Natsu is doing literally the same things he'd have done back in chapter one disappointing.

I guess Selene is next? That seems somewhat early, for who is seemingly the final foe before we get the inevitable betrayal from Elefseria (you know it's coming!). Will Team Diabolos take on Selene while Team Fairy Tail head towards the Gold Dragon instead? Or will Selene overwhelm everyone who comes across her? That last one would be strange, since we've just introduced Big-Mega-Ultra-Title Suzaku. He wouldn't be much of a badass if the first mission we see him in was a complete failure.

Manga Rating: 3.5/5

Best Part: Shenanigans!

Worst Part: Convenient army to clean up everything.

They skipped the unnecessary recap in the cover image! Hooray!


Eden's Zero

Before our chapters begin, we get another visit from our narrator Xiaomei, who sums up the current situation involving Ziggy and the Eden's One. Disappointing that she has so little to say this time honestly. Anyway, we move on to the group gasping in awe at all the fish and the water in space, while Rebecca flashes back to when they met Connor from the previous timeline. When Shiki tries to talk to Kris, he brushes him off and walks away with his sister.

Meanwhile, Witch and Sister are discussing how the ship has no information on any locations explored outside the Sakura Cosmos. Hermit says she will try to fix this issue, saying that she found signs that the Eden's Zero is taking the exact same course it did 15 years ago, and they should be heading towards Red Cave, a planet of flames. Hermit also found the term "Poseidon Nero", which is the name of a member of the Oracion Seis Galactica, and ruler of the Aoi Cosmos. 

These names are officially getting funnier. Next month, we're going to get characters called "G" and "F". And I'll be "LOL"
Surprisingly, the next page takes us to the Interstellar Union Army ship, the Angel Feather, where we see Justice and his crew, Victory and Creed, talking about Elsie going to the Aoi Cosmos, possibly to meet with Poseidon Nero. When they show praise to Noah for having soldiers that could defeat Drakken Joe, Justice corrects them, having examined the scene and found evidence that it was the result of someone using Demon King ether. 

The trio are given a call by their leader, Colonel Jaguar, who wants a one-on-one talk with Justice. Apparently, it is time for the "Hall of Prayer", and this is when several other callers join the Skype chat. These six, including Jaguar and Justice, are the Oracion Seis Interstellar, made to take down the Galactica! Justice, Jaguar, Cure, Holy, Feather and Eraser! Justice vows to capture and kill Elsie for "taking everything away from him", and they pray. Our chapter ends with the Red Cave planet being revealed to be covered in water.

You ever notice how many manga have a talking ass like this?
And so I was one chapter off, but my prediction was still accurate! It's time for a swimsuit chapteeeeer! This is why you read my reviews, I'm sure. For my amazing predictions that are always 110% accurate! Shiki, Rebecca, Happy and Pino are jumping in to celebrate, Homura is training, Hermit is studying, Witch is fanservice-ing which makes her the most important character of them all, and Weisz is being a bit creepy. Although Kris is hesitant, he relents and lets Kleene join in too. 

Well, I just added more pressure to the anime adaptation.
As the fun continues, we see the sky literally rain down light ether, fusing with the water to create a beautiful image that makes me desperately want to see this animated. After Weisz nearly ruins the moment, Rebecca saves it by having Shiki bring her up high so she can record it from above. Unfortunately, the moment is officially destroyed by a small ship crashing into the sea. Shiki, Rebecca, Happy, Pino, Homura and Weisz equip Lacrima (yes, you read that right) to breathe underwater and go down to check.

They swim down into the depths and find the ship, but the pilot is a skeleton. And to everyone's shock, they are near a giant underwater city! As they get closer, wondering if anyone lives there, they come across a carving of Mother.

EZ Opinion: Where there's water, there's swimwear.

Instead of bragging about my omniscience for paragraphs, I instead want to bring up what I believe is Eden's Zero's best aspect. This is something I've been considering to talk about for some time now, and I might even do a separate article on one day, but for now, I'm going to briefly mention it here. Like One Piece actually, the best part about Eden's Zero is the creation of the world around the characters. The two different Oracion Seis groups, the different worlds, the backstories of characters... All of these are really selling the idea that Eden's Zero is a large world full of living people, rather than being a world centered around Shiki and Rebecca. They feel as much a part of the world as everyone else, and that's something that more manga should focus on. It's why I think One Piece has done so well over the years and, despite my problems with it, I think that aspect is brilliant.

My second favourite aspect is all the different and chill ways Sister sits. I'd say I would do anything to protect her, but let's face it, I'd just be in her way.
 I will say though that between the Oracion Seis Interstellar, the Oracion Seis Galactica, the Four Shining Stars, the Four Dark Stars and more, things are starting to get dangerously ambitious. Now, I'd much rather see a creator go fully ambitious and fail, rather than see them stay bland and obvious, but I just hope that the story has had enough thought put into it to have a satisfying path for all these characters. I have faith, don't worry, but I felt it was important to mention.

Funnily enough, what I said about Fairy Tail above could be said here too. It's nice to see characters relax, interact with each other, and not always be shooting lasers at enemies. Chapters like this and Fairy Tail's make the action-packed chapters all the more interesting, after all. They keep the story varied and prevent the action from becoming stale. It's why I enjoyed reading Negima so much, despite the dangerously high level of fanservice. Although, and maybe this is because I'm older and more wise now, Weisz was a bit too much for me this time. I got Mineta flashbacks. You do not want to give me Mineta flashbacks!

There's actually too much going on in this page for me to comment on anything.
Next up, an underwater city that worships Mother! Could this perhaps be another chapter devoted to expanding the lore of the cosmos, and we can learn more about who she is or might be? Could this underwater city be what was once above land, back when the planet was one of flame? Will we see sexy mermaids? Is Mercuphobia back?! 

I don't know, but I'm convinced that skeleton was a living person until the flaming heat literally burned them down to the bone. Spicy.

Manga Rating:

106: 3.5/5

107: 4/5

Best Part: Relaxing under the rain of light.

Worst Part: Weird Weisz.

We're getting a school one-shot in a few months, aren't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment