Thursday, August 13, 2020

Fairy Tail 100 Year Quest Chapter 62 & Eden's Zero Chapter 105 Review

 Written by Shiggins

New horizons.

In a welcome change of pace, both chapters this time involves actions that are going to bring us to new places we've yet to experience. In Fairy Tail's case, it's putting an end to an arc that started in June 2019, with the battle itself starting last April! And in Eden's Zero, we're doing what travelling plots do best and introducing a new area. And damn, I wish I could go somewhere new right now...

Oh I wish, I wish I could squish that fish.

Fairy Tail

Aldoron scoffs at the idea of a human fighting a God like him, but he is able to sense that Natsu is part-demon and the son of Igneel, and comments on it. Natsu says it doesn't matter what he is and begins to fight, with lots of fire and choreography, as Natsu finally shows off the power of Igneel. Aldoron is pissed to see Natsu using the fire of a dragon, saying humans are to be for his power and nothing more. 

Seeing how Aldoron talks, Natsu decides to ask how many humans he's killed in the past. Aldoron is unsure of the exact number, but does estimate that around 300,000 have lived on his back for the century, and he drained all their lives for his own power. Natsu, although pissed, is relieved to hear that Aldoron is someone deserving of an ass-kicking, unlike Mercuphobia.

Natsu and I share the same sentiment.

Natsu races forward and slams his fist against Aldoron, with not just the flames of Igneel, but also of Atlas (hooray for callbacks) and even Ignia, finally ending this fight with a punch that I have to admit is beautiful and satisfactory. The God Seed that is Aldoron is incinerated, and the giant dragon form explodes. Natsu stands victorious.


FT Opinion: Where was this Aldoron the whole time?!

This is basically what I wanted! If you've read my previous reviews, you'll know I didn't care to have Aldoron be questionable and uninteresting. I wanted either a nice character like Mercuphobia, or an evil villain like... well, like he is revealed to be now. An evil gloating villain throughout this entire arc could have been great fun, and made this arc even better. Sure, I'm glad we got him in the end but I can't help but wonder if Mashima-senpai hesitated, which is why it took so long to get an evil Aldoron. Was he unsure, planning to make Aldoron a good person, but then realised the arc had been going on for too long and made an easier ending? It's possible, considering the way these chapters are released and how mangaka often change their plans while writing the stories out, but this is pure speculation so don't take my words seriously.

 

Oh I wish I could replay this over and over, but I can't. Because it's a drawing.

I also got a real kick out of the action today. Lots of movement and striking, yet easy to follow. It's times like this that the art style really does help, because if I was reviewing My Hero Academia or One Piece right now, I'd be panicking about missing something. Have you seen their recent chapters? Every panel is so cluttered over there... but no, I don't want to turn this into a paragraph complaining about other manga. I just wanted to say I enjoyed this chapter visually. That's all.

Manga Rating: 4/5

Best Part: The final punch.

Worst Part: Aldoron's short-lived personality.

Classy ass-y.

 

Eden's Zero

The crew gaze in awe at the Dragonfall obstacle, with countless robotic dragons flying through the stars in a scene I'd love to see animated. Knowing they can't go around, the Eden's Zero decides to fly through the barricade, until they realise that several dragons have been brutally slaughtered by the Eden's One and it's Etherion weapon. Using this opportunity, the ship flies through the ruins of the deceased, but are pursued by vengeful dragons. The Eden's Zero begins to fight back against the dragons, but Homura is a poor choice for long-range weaponry. Luckily, Jinn (Or should I call him Kris now?) shows up to take over. Kleene makes him forgive Homura for their fight too.

Well, I suppose this stops the debate over whether robots are alive or not.

Thanks to Hermit, the gunners are able to use their own Ether to power up the bullets too. Rebecca fires rapidly, for example. Weisz is able to remodel his bullets into a net, which reminds me there's a lot of untapped potential with that ability, and then Shiki uses his brand new transformation to create a gravity-ball that captures the dragons and allows the Eden's Zero to finally escape. Finally, the crew has made it out of the Sakura Cosmos and into the big galaxy beyond. However, that success is immediately forgotten when water suddenly appears out of nowhere to engulf the ship. Fish of all shapes and sizes, one of which is colossal, are surrounding them. According to Hermit, this is a sign they've entered the Poseidon Nero sector, known as the Aoi Cosmos.

 

EZ Opinion: Damn it, the second chapter has been delayed.

Why do they need holidays anyway? I shouldn't have to wait. I am the king of reviews! I demand constant satisfaction and to be given everything, because I'm a spoiled millennial! And what's worse is it makes this review somewhat awkward, since our Eden's Zero chapter is literally just moving from one location to another.

To be fair though, I liked this scene. The Dragonfall is a great visual, and the action was fun. Again, the use of vehicles and space to travel in really does help make this manga standout in comparison to Mashima's previous works of Fairy Tail and Rave Master, and the use of abilities from characters like Weisz and Shiki does add variety to it. Whichever company is in charge of animating these scenes will have high expectations from me.

"Me and my distractingly tight bodysuit cannot believe this!"

I guess Kris is part of the crew now. I suppose you do need that wild card of the group (Gajeel, for example), and I like his design a lot, but he and his sister are somewhat unexplored territory so far. We've yet to really soak in what they're like, but since we're arriving in a water-themed area next, I'm sure we'll get some sort of fun intera-oh, we're getting a swimsuit chapter soon, if not next week, aren't we?

Manga Rating: 3.5/5

Best Part: The visual spectacle of Dragonfall.

Worst Part: Kris is now a member with little fanfare. I think.

Is that a panther-Lily?! Make that canon, please!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment