Thursday, August 26, 2021

Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest Chapters 87, 88 and 89 Review - End of Elentir Arc

 Written by Shiggins

Oft, that was... rough.

Okay, so I'm going to try something a bit new and revolutionary. Instead of summing up the chapters, I'm just going to... do the review instead. It means these reviews will be less of a chore for me to write, and I can spend more time bitching about how badly this arc was executed. Sound good? No? Well, shame because here I go!

Wait, what happened? I blinked and I missed it.

I was right from the start, the arc should have had the Edolas versions of Nalu and Gruvia's kids come along for the journey, because that would have at least provided some consistent entertainment throughout this shockingly bad arc. Honestly, I'm kind of amazed how this arc has gone. And the current heatwave at my house has made me extra grumpy, so I'm not holding back with my thoughts today!

At least the art was nice enough. That's... something.

So we all agree the final fight was bullshit, right? The entire arc focuses solely on Selene and her damsels in dis-dress, but then she literally leaves the arc via a portal and the stupid hands from the ground become an evil face that is destroyed in the very next chapter with minimal effort. It takes me longer to pee! We didn't even know the faceman existed, or what it was until five pages before it exploded! Also who gives a shit about the hands?! I've hated them since they first showed up! They make fingernail dirt monsters! That's gross!

The final chapter of this arc, which is the most recent one at the time of writing this review, was possibly the most rushed finale to an arc in Fairy Tail history. Lucy's narration basically forced to carry the load is not fun, it's exposition. Do you remember that fun chapter set after the Grand Magic Games, where everyone met up at the castle and had a bunch of interactions and jokes and Natsu stole the crown? Well imagine someone over the phone telling you about that chapter instead, and that's essentially how this feels.

During my last review, it was commented that the Elentir world itself has been so very unexplored, and that really stuck with me. So I decided to actually reread some of Fairy Tail, including the Edolas arc, and couldn't help but notice the differences. The Edolas arc, as much as I don't personally rank it highly, put full effort in telling me who these people are, how their world worked, and why I should care. It also had Pantherlily. By comparison, I didn't know Elentir had men in it until we were near the end! Look at my reviews, you'll see I'm trying to figure out what is going on so much because so little of this world and it's inhabitants have not been shown to us. Who are you!? How does your government work?! Are you more into Pokemon or Digimon?! We didn't even meet an Elentir version of any of our favourite characters, which was probably the best part about the Edolas arc! 

So be honest. Did you see the obvious boob joke coming, or was it too quick for you to get a chance?

What did I like about this arc? Three characters actually. Suzaku, the surprisingly quirky breath of fresh air swordsman with a great design. Selene, the sexy villain who commands the room with grace and authority. And Princess Mimi, who is precious in every way. These three were by far the highlight, with the best battles and the best interactions amongst the other characters. 

Wendy turning older to defeat a big villain is a really cool idea, but utterly wasted here and far too brief, over as soon as it began. It should have been saved for someone more deserving and interesting... like Duke Everlue. Not this "Alta Face" who, again, I have nothing worthwhile to comment on because it was destroyed as soon as it appeared.

This would have been more interesting. I'm dead serious.

This is just sad. An arc in a whole new world with new characters and rules and unlimited possibilities, and it ended in a way that actually has me convinced the writers didn't want anything to do with it anymore. These guys wanted it finished, and I'm now just hoping that whatever they rushed to get to is going to be worth it, because... it has not been worth it so far, let me tell you that much.

At this point, I'd gladly just take an entire arc with these characters getting up to slice-of-life shenanigans on the beach instead. It'd be better than this! (Actually, I would enjoy that. Make it happen please.)

Well there is one bright side to this rushed finale... No more Faris, thank the Lord.

So long, farewell, don't feel the need to write or visit. You will not be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment