Saturday, December 18, 2021

Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest Chapters 94 to 97 Review

 Written by Shiggins

Love is against the air.

Man, fuck this year. Constantly tired, constantly frustrated, constantly busy. I just want to read my manga and write my articles! So yes, this review is late and yes it's yet another catch-up review of several chapters, not just two, but... uh... well at least Gajeel and Laxus showed up?

Already better than Romeo. But nowhere close to Chelia/Sherria/Whateveria.

It's pretty clear at this point that the series is bending over backwards to find new ways to have characters fight each other, but not wanting to put in the leg work of building up a proper arc or story. So once again, we're seeing another instance of what is essentially a fanfiction scenario to push through to the "important stuff". I would complain about this, but after how poorly Elentir did, I'm honestly glad it's skipping right to the "important stuff" and not wasting time working on a boring world or monster.

I am enjoying the surprising mix-ups of Carla and Pantherlily though. Gajeel with Carla is unique enough that this could be a very big laugh or dynamic, so I'm ready to be impressed. Or at least amused. Wendy and Pantherlily could be fun too but I personally don't see how.

We've all just accepted that this is Wendy's plot armour spell from now on, right? Geez.

Admittedly, I was disappointed in the new Diabolos members for seeming to be more gimmick than character, but that's slowly starting to change thanks to the newest battle between Wendy and Haru. It's not much but having him fall for Wendy while trying to fight her while also trying to gain her affection is a ridiculous combo and it's at least keeping things fun.

I mean, we all agree that Haru being able to turn Irene into a doll is solely for the plot, right? When else would Haru have a chance to turn a ghost/persona into one of those? It's the type of ability that would never fit anyone else, but it at least works to get Irene outside Wendy's body (temporarily I assume). Or who knows? Maybe this is actually how we get Irene to join the rest of the group and put on clothes for the first time since this series began! Either way, I have grown to surprisingly enjoy her being around so I'm hoping we don't take too long to get her back into play.

Does anyone outside of anime/manga do this? Do you personally wait to get punched in the face or lose a goal before you actually put in effort?

The newest chapter ended with Laxus actually being in trouble for once, so I can't help but wonder if we're going to see something actually make him try and use a strategy. Doubtful but I want to be optimistic. I feel like Laxus hasn't struggled against an opponent in literal years, and usually he just powers through until he wins. Yes, yes, that's shounen for you but some characters like to bring on some new stuff. Or hell, maybe Kiria will show up next time! That'd be a treat. I just want anything that could keep this stuff entertaining.

The "fight" of the plushies was at least visually unique, if not exactly tense. Seeing plushie versions of Leo, Virgo and Aries was especially delightful in a "I want one of those" sort of way, but the fight itself lasted too long for my tastes considering it was mostly a display of toys. Still though, cute and not what I predicted going into this arc so I won't be too harsh towards it.

Anyway, here's all four of the covers. Imagine I said something witty about them all. And once again, huge thanks to all the translators, proof-readers, cleaners, redrawers, raw providers, type setters and quality checkers that help us read these chapters every time. Without you guys, we'd all be in peril. You're awesome.





No comments:

Post a Comment