Sunday, July 22, 2018

My Top 3 Anime of 2018 (So Far)

Written by Shiggins

Because why not?

Now that we're nearly in the 8th month of 2018, now is as good a time as any to take a look back at some of the anime of the year and discuss the best of the best so far! Of course, there are plenty of anime out there that I haven't seen, and plenty of people will disagree with my choices, but there is plenty of plentiful space in the comment section below! So give it a read, then tell me what your favourites are!

Note: Only anime that began in 2018 counts. So sorry, Dragon Ball Super. Your awesome finale isn't in this article.

MHA Season 3 is not on this list, since it hasn't finished yet. However, it is definitely the best dub of the year so far.


Violet Evergarden

Netflix's popularity is difficult to ignore, and even more difficult to not understand when amazing works like Violet Evergarden are being released by them. First airing in January, the anime tells the story of the titular character who has essentially been programmed to have no emotions and be a perfect soldier, now having to return from war after an accident left her permanently damaged, and adjust back into normal society while working as a ghostwriter.

"I am so lost."
The true beauty of Violet Evergarden, besides the astounding colours and animation in every frame, are the multiple stories that this season manages to bring across in its short run. Every episode focuses on Violet and her job, and she is constantly coming across new faces and learning more about them, as well as herself and the last words her commander told her before his tragic death.

"Hey, have you seen my brother, Alphonse?"
A drunk recluse trying to write a play becomes a story about dealing with grief and unable to process the harsh reality. An episode about neglecting a child due to work is revealed to be one of the most tragic yet magnificent stories I've seen in anime in years. Despite only lasting 12 episodes and one OVA, Violet Evergarden carries more weight and strength than some anime could handle in 100 episodes.


Devilman Crybaby

I'll be honest with you, folks. I nearly turned this series off immediately. And if you did the same, I don't blame you in the slightest. The animation is so over-the-top, even by anime standards, and can look quite ugly at times, that it is easy to be turned off. It doesn't help that the show loves its nudity as much as Game of Thrones does, creating a series which, on paper, I should probably hate.

It's like if Tim Burton had a baby with Jim Carpenter. And we should all pray that never happens.
However, getting past that initial hurdle is so rewarding in so many ways. Devilman Crybaby is the reboot of the classic shonen-horror series, Devilman, written by the legendary Go Nagai. In this incarnation, the setting is modern times and a boy named Akira Fudo is approached by his childhood friend Ryo Asuka and thrust into the discovery that demons of hell exist! This eventually causes Fudo to transform into the terrifying Devilman!

Devilman is so awesome that he makes the show look amazing whenever he's on screen!
What really stuck with me after the show was the ending. I remember the series stopped, and I lay down and just stared at the ceiling to process what had happened and how amazing it had been. Devilman Crybaby is an ugly show at first, but it becomes beautiful as time goes on and moments of love, friendship, revenge, betrayal, hate, anger, action, horror, drama and so much more resonate with me. I doubt I'll be able to forget it anytime soon.


A Place Further than the Universe

Trust me, I am as shocked as you are to see this make it to my top 3 of the year so far. In fact, a small confession, I only watched this series originally because I thought it was a sci-fi series about exploring the stars. Instead, I got a show about a highschool girl named Mari Tamaki, who is scared of never taking chances. And all that changes when she makes a new friend, Shirase, and they vow to go to Antarctica.

I have to knock some points off however, because I can see the "selfie stick" there!
What's great about APFTTU (wow, that's not going to catch on) is that it manages to be engaging on every level without needing to raise the stakes to Earth-shattering levels. There is no giant monster about to destroy the world. There's no evil stock bully who hatches a plan to tear them apart. It's a simple tale about friendship and coming of age, and that's kinda what I love about it.

The sunglasses! They're alive! Run! Invasion of the Eye Snatchers has begun!
The characters in this are full of charm, and their interactions with each other can be emotional but well-balanced. I've seen tons of comedies that go full-drama and I hate that (Hello, Ouran finale!), so seeing these girls refuse to reach that level is so reassuring. It also helps that the each character is distinct, yet naturally designed, and some of the biggest laughs I've had this year have come from this show. The conclusion to the episode with the passport? Stitches, my friends. Stitches.


Sorry, but I just have to say it again. That DBS finale was awesome! 

There are tons of shows I've had to leave out, and I know I will talk about them in future articles. However, until that day, tell me what your favourites are down below in the comments! 


Shiggins:[Admin]   .
Born under the stars of the Dark Gods, Shiggins owns the power of the Great Eye and is utterly magnificent in his omniscience. If you dare to discover more about someone as great as him, then go ahead. And to all my friends and family members, YOU are wrong and I should be disappointed! Not the other way round!,. You can find out about him or ask him stuff on ask.fm/shigginsishere or go to his tumblr page http://otakugajeel.tumblr.com/

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Do yourself a favour. Put them on and get ready to CRY. Like a baby. A baby who can watch anime.

      Delete