Thursday, July 2, 2020

Fairy Tail 100 Year Quest Chapter 59 Review - Gears of Fate

Written by Shiggins

A quick note before we begin.

Now that Eden's Zero's most recent arc, the Belial Gore arc, has finished and been reviewed by me, I can now add all EZ reviews to my Fairy Tail reviews. So please be on the lookout for those, we'll see if they work and if it's worth me keeping those reviews going, and hopefully everyone has a good time. And now, onto the review!

Actually.... that gear design is awesome. Jellal, keep it! I want that too!
Jellal has gears on him, provided by Gears. His body and mind are affected, becoming slow and awkward, and he can't even use Meteor properly because of this. Gears himself is attacking Jellal, who is now seeing Erza because of Gears' gears, and he collapses in possible defeat.

Meanwhile, Erza wakes up and has a fairly cute interaction with Laxus about Jellal before we cut back to the fight of Gears and Jellal, who has suddenly gotten back up, and is about to embrace the idea of death at Erza's hands because it's what he deserves because he was possessed that one time, then suddenly Ultear arrives to wake him out of that because he's in a place where time has stopped... okay...

Someone just said it! Thank you so much!
Encouraged to survive for Erza, Jellal realises that Gears' gears work using guilt, and so Jellal actually separates himself into two, one of which is Seigrain! And finally, Jellal activates Grand Chariot to defeat Gears.

Opinion: Damn it, damn it, damn it!

Why won't you let me love you, Jellal?! I want to join the rest of the fandom but you're so predictable! And this chapter is exactly what I was against, hence my praise last time! I could have guessed almost everything in this chapter, from the "shocking" appearance of Ultear to the use of Erza against him. Does this man have no other weakness?! And obviously the villain is then easily beaten by Grand Chariot. Obviously.

I genuinely didn't want to be negative about this chapter, or any chapter really. I want to enjoy all  of them, but it seems like we keep going through the same formula with this guy every single time. Jellal's character just can't escape this. Has he ever been in a battle that didn't involve Erza in some capacity? Has he ever shown any real signs of growth since he got his memory back? Believe it or not, I actually want to like Jellal, but every single time he shows up, it's "I feel bad about my past, even though I was literally possessed at the time", followed by "Erza Erza Erza", then finished with a Grand Chariot.



Deja Vu - Initial D
I will give credit though. The return of Siegrain was actually pretty fun. I liked that a lot, since it follows the rules established in the past and worked to effect in this scenario. We've seen a few instances of that in recent chapters and maybe it's just nostalgia, but I like when they do them.

Other than that... Nope. Gears didn't display ANY personality whatsoever, Ultear's cameo was as obvious as it was unnecessary, and Jellal continues to be the divide between me and so many of you. So once again, we have a chapter featuring Jellal that I dislike. And I'm sad about that. I actually am. So I'm sorry guys, but once again... it's a negative Jellal chapter from me.

Manga Rating: 1.5/5

Best Part: Siegrain!

Worst Part: The formula of Jellal.

Tell that to Blofeld.

No comments:

Post a Comment